Preparation is the key to selling your vehicle. Let’s face it – selling a vehicle takes time and patience.
So, what should you do? For starters think America’s Car-Mart first. We make the process easy. Once you provide the necessary information, we’ll inspect, and test drive the vehicle. We’ll handle the paperwork and get you a check as quickly as possible. And we’ll buy your car even if you don’t buy a vehicle from Car-Mart.
“It’s a hassle-free process and we make it easy for our customers,” says Mike Neal, Purchasing Support Manager, Car-Mart, who has purchased hundreds of vehicles for Car-Mart during his 11-year Car-Mart career. “We’ll help our customers get out a vehicle they no longer want. We’ll do all the work for you.”
Preparing your car for sale
Here are Mike’s 4 tips on how to add value to your vehicle:
1. Clean your vehicle – inside and outside
“If your car looks trashed, it tells me you probably didn’t take care of it,” says Mike. “First impressions count. Besides, you want to look like you took care of your vehicle.”
- Clean out the trash (toys, pencils, French Fries, paper, etc.) – don’t forget the trunk, under the seats and in the glovebox.
- Wipe down the interior. Vacuum the seats and floors. Clean floor mats.
- Wash the exterior, including the tires and wheel wells. Wash the windows.
- Consider waxing the vehicle. Use a little elbow grease to buff out any dents or dings.
[Check out our blog – A Clean Car = Happy You – about keeping your car clean].
2. Fix the small stuff
“We suggest you fix things you can fix and that are affordable,” says Mike, while adding that before you do any maintenance work or repairs, be sure the return is worth your investment.
- Check the car lights – dome lights, headlights, blinkers and replace them if needed.
- Check all fluid levels – washer fluid, coolant, brake fluid and make sure they’re topped off.
- Leave the more serious repairs to Car-Mart. Dents and scratches are to be expected on older vehicles.
3. Test drive your car
“Drive your car as if you were looking to buy it. What do you notice? What sounds do you hear?” Mike says. “A good question to ask is ‘would you buy this car?’ If not, why not?”
- Pay attention to anything that doesn’t seem right and share this information with Car-Mart.
4. Get your paperwork in order
“Save time at the dealership and expedite the process by having all your paperwork in order,” suggests Mike.
Collect all the paperwork for your vehicle including:
- VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) number (usually located on the lower-left corner of your windshield)
- Vehicle title
- Vehicle history report
- Maintenance records – receipts for maintenance work (e.g., oil changes, tire rotations, etc.) performed on your vehicle. Cars that have been maintained with scheduled maintenance retain more of their value.
Speaking of paperwork, don’t forget to cancel your insurance policy on the vehicle (while remembering to ensure you have insurance on your new purchase).
“Once a customer brings his vehicle to Car-Mart, we’ll make it as quick as possible so you can get paid the same day or next day,” says Mike. “It’s a simple three-step process – make an appointment, go to the dealership and get your check.”
Presenting your car in the right way will help ensure you get the most for your car. “If you want to get the highest possible value for your vehicle – and get top dollar, you should prep your vehicle,” Mike adds. “We know you’re selling us a used car, so we don’t expect it to be perfect, but a little sprucing up will go a long way.”
“Many folks are not mechanics, so we’ll drive your car. We’ll listen to how it drives. We’ll feel the brakes and the steering wheel. The vehicle will essentially tell us what’s wrong with the vehicle,” continues Mike.
It’s time to sell
Now that your vehicle is ‘showroom ready’ and your paperwork is in order, it’s time to start the process to sell your vehicle to Car-Mart.
“Again, selling your vehicle to Car-Mart is a simple process. And we look forward to buying your vehicle and even getting you into a new ride,” Mike concludes. “After all, our goal is to keep you on the road.”
Mike recommends if you want to sell your vehicle to Car-Mart, start the process online. Here you’ll need to enter the make and model of your vehicle, VIN (vehicle information number), payment information, mileage and condition. You’ll receive a text message acknowledging your submission and a Car-Mart associate will then call you to schedule an appointment at the closest Car-Mart.
Check out our other blogs to learn more about Car-Mart’s vehicle buying process and tips for vehicle maintenance:
- “How Car-Mart buys vehicles for its valued customers”
- “How to maintain your vehicle”
- “8 things to know about your vehicle oil changes”