Do you want your car to last longer? Co-Manager and car expert Mandi Lopez-Brown at Car-Mart of Siloam Springs says pay attention to the oil. “When it comes to the longevity of your vehicle, it’s all about the oil,” says Mandi. Eventually, if the oil is not changed, the entire engine will shut down and have to be replaced. Ouch!
Here’s four reasons why Mandi says changing your oil regularly is important:
- Improves gas mileage – Gas mileage improves over time by one to two percent with regular oil changes and the right kind of oil, according to the U.S. Department of Energy.
- Maintains engine lubrication – The car parts – pistons and valves – underneath your hood need oil to be properly lubricated so they can operate properly.
- Cools engine component – Without oil, your engine parts will get too hot, causing the engine to run less efficiently.
- Keeps your engine clean – Without oil, your car parts will get dirty, which can cause corrosion and decrease the life of an engine.
And, Mandi says it’s an easy 4-step process for maintaining the oil in your vehicle:
- Check the owner’s manual. Know the specific weight and grade of oil your vehicle requires.
- Check your oil level at least once a month. If you check the level yourself, make sure the car is parked on level ground. If the oil is below the minimum mark, it’s time to add oil.
- Look for the oil’s color. It should appear amber or brown in color. The older it gets, the darker the color will become. If you see metal particles, it could mean internal damage. Get your car to a mechanic.
- Change your oil every 3,500 miles or every three months – as a rule of thumb. Again, check your owner’s manual.
“This only takes a few minutes,” says Mandi. “Just follow these four steps to keep your engine humming and extend the life of your vehicle.”
Has your vehicle reached the end of its life expectancy and time for a new one? Let Mandi or any one of our 144 dealerships put you in an affordable, quality, used vehicle today! Check out our inventory at one of our 144 locations or go online at https://www.car-mart.com/locations/.